Wednesday 15 January 2014

Crafts basket

Small things can make world of a difference. I started to make a crocheted basket last year, but I unraveled it because it looked horrible. Then I got a book Virkkuri (only in Finnish, so far) by Molla Mills as a Christmas present. The book has lots and lots of new ideas where and how to use tradional chrocheting techniques. The book has excellent pictures and fresh feel. 

So I got the book and there were two hints about crocheting a basket, the first was instructions on how to make a 90 degree angle turn between the base and the sides of the basket and the second was to use labels. Those two ideas made all the difference. Even though I crocheted with the same yarn and made the same size as the trial before, the basket just ended up much more modern and crisp. I love it.


5 comments:

  1. Those labels are a very cute touch. What kind of yarn is that? Is it the yarn that makes it stand up so well or the stitches? I know nothing about crocheting, but I'd love to make some like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This yarn is something that could be used for veawing a rag rug, so it's quite thick. Not sure if that sort of yarn can be called as yarn anymore, in Finnish we call it with a different name. I tried looking the yarn up for you, but since I don't know it's official name in English, I'm having bit of trouble finding it. We have these sold by weight in yarn and craft stores http://lankamaailma.fi/kuteet
      The stitch used for this is the single crochet, that is a tight stitch and together with the rag rug yarn the result is fairly sturdy.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for looking it up! I'm going to save that link and ask about it next time I go to the yarn shop. Then I need to look up how to crochet. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Very nice basket!
    How do you make the 90 degrees angle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      You crochet the back loop and the loop behind the stitch instead of the front and back look of the stitch

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...