Friday 29 June 2012

One shelf is up!

Hihhey! The shelf for the painted side of the room is now dry and assembled! Yay! It's white! So pretty.


I must say the assembly was not pretty. I placed the top, bottom and middle shelf on the vertical support pieces, which was freakingly difficult because I didn't have anyone to help me. A is in Shanghai for two weeks and I did not want to wait putting the shelf up.

I had the shelf lying on the floor and then tried to measure that the shelf would be straight before I screwed the cross support on the back. I lost my nerve when I made the measurements, the measuring tape just did not stay on place and my arm didn't reach anywhere and I got really mad. Also I made the mistake of starting to put the shelf together while I was hungry. I guess my blod sugar was too low because I started coursing to the shelf. Now I've eaten and the shelf is also up and not crooked so I feel lot better.



That table top that sticks out from the shelf will be A's work surface. A tends to pile stuff on horizontal surfaces so I thought to prevent that he should not have as much space for it as before. And we will get separate work areas, so his stuff wont slide onto mine.

The shelf under the work surface is for collecting the cord mess, I plan to tuck all the excess cords there and maybe also the external hard drives. I hope the shelf does not hit his knees. The bottom shelf on the right most likely needs to be moved away since I think it will be on the way of A's feet and also the computer tower needs to be placed somewhere.


But it's up, Wohoo! Next I need to move some stuff on the shelf to make room for the other side of the room so I can paint that side and the shelf there.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Looks great! Your post reminds me of this old TV ad, I think it was about chocolate, where this woman assembles a shelf alone and balances the shelves with all kinds of body parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, too bad I cannot remember that ad :D

      Delete
  2. Good on you putting it together yourself- it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Good job putting it up too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! It looks great. Perhaps a basket on that shelf would help hold the cords! The room is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for finishing the shelf! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...