Wednesday 14 September 2011

The week of the mushroom - Chanterelle

I know very little about mushrooms, no, actually I know hardly anything about mushrooms. I know the champignon, that does not grow wild here. Then I know the fly agaric, a poisonous musroom, that does grow wild here and then I know the chanterelle, that also grows wild and is delicious.


On my friends cabin I picked few chanterelles.


My mom used to fry chanterelles and onion in butter when I was a kid, and it was the best fall time delicacy I could think of. We ate it as is, just forked it straight to our mouths.


There is nothing wrong with the way my mom fries chanterelles, but maybe because I'm not my mom I add cream to the fryed chanterelles to make a stew. You can eat it as a side dish or, if you add more cream, as a sauce with meat or fish. Spice with salt and pepper. Some people add flour too, but I try to avoid flour in general.


It's delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...